This site provides access to the modules, source code and documentation for the Ecosystem Diagnosis & Treatment (EDT) model. EDT has been developed through the collective efforts of many biologists, modelers and users in over two decades of use.
The code is currently developed and maintained by ICF International. The currently supported version of the model provided here is referred to as EDT3. Data from previous EDT versions can be imported into the current version.
Ecosystem Diagnosis & Treatment (EDT) is a fish life-cycle habitat model designed to help managers identify priorities for habitat restoration investments and to understand how habitat conditions control fish abundance and distribution. EDT assesses
the potential of aquatic habitat to support fish populations using the population performance metrics embodied in the NMFS Viable Salmonid Population (VSP) concept: fish abundance, productivity, biological diversity and spatial structure; EDT creates habitat
analogs to these population metrics allowing managers to assess habitat conditions in terms of these widely used terms for fish population performance. While EDT is most frequently applied to habitat for salmonids it has been applied to other fish species
such as Delta Smelt.
The model consists of the following modules that can be used independently and sequentially to create detailed reports of fish performance under a given habitat condition:
- Geometry Navigator: sets up reach-level spatial structure of the model
- Attribute Editor: allows import and export of reach level environmental data
- Population Editor: creates a fish life history description that controls life-stage exposure to environmental conditions
- Species-Habitat Relations Editor: allow review, editing and creation of species-habitat relationships that interpret environmental conditions
- Report Generator: controls the operation of the model to create specific scenarios and comparisons and creates specific reports and outputs
EDT uses the data editing and graphing capabilities of Microsoft Excel.
DO NOT click the "Downloads" button on this page. That will not download any usable EDT software. Instead, follow the steps below.
EDT will only run on Windows computers. It was developed and tested on Windows 7.
Install Applications in the Suite
To install each application, click on the hyperlink. You should be prompted to download a "setup.exe" file; if you see a warning about downloading the file, choose to continue/keep the download. Once the setup.exe file has download it, browse to
the download location and double-click to run it. The setup.exe will install all prerequisites needed to run the EDT application suite. You will be prompted to accept an End User License Agreement for each prerequisite, and will need to have administrator
permissions to install them. Once the prerequisites have been installed, the EDT application you downloaded will be installed, too.
If you have any questions or difficulties, email Karl.Dickman@icf.com for help.
All prerequisites for the EDT application suite should be installed automatically as part of the installation process outlined above. If there is a problem installing the prerequisites, you may need to install them manually.
- .NET Framework 4
- Note: the .NET Framework is often installed already; the application installer will warn you if it is not.
- SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5
- When you run the installer, you will be prompted for a directory location.
- Navigate to the directory location you chose.
- There should bet two files at this location:
- If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows, install only SSCERuntime_x86-ENU.msi.
- If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, install both files.
- To check if you are running a 64 or 32 version of windows, right-click on My Computer and select "Properties". There should be a line that says "System type: [32/64]-bit operating system"
When following the links below, you should see a large "Download" button. Click that, then open the file downloaded to your computer.
- Create an account
- After creating your account you are self-registered as a public user. You can now download the EDT applications and begin exploring projects for public published information.
- Previous users of EDT have an account. If you cannot remember your user name and password please contact Karl Dickman (Karl.Dickman@icf.com) for this information
- Login Service (optional)
- Requires administrator rights to install
- Allows application suite to be used without an internet connection